Nothing says comfort more than a steaming bowl of chili after a day spent in the great outdoors. Dominic, an outdoor adventure guide with Arpin Canoe Restigouche, shares the recipe of the chili he serves riverside to his groups.
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 lb. (454 g) ground meat
- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 large tomatoes, diced, or one 28-oz (796-ml) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 ml) of corn kernels
- One 19-oz (540-ml) can of kidney of black beans, drained
- 1 cup (250 ml) chili sauce Pepper-based hot sauce, to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Ground cumin and coriander, to taste
- Brown ground beef in olive oil in a skillet.
- Add onion, carrot, garlic and pepper. Cook together for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes, corn, beans, chili sauce and hot sauce. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, cumin and coriander.
- Serve with rice or tortilla chips, sour cream and a pinch of fresh coriander.
Tip: This chili can be dehydrated or frozen for future wilderness expeditions.