Lewis Peter Fisher, Woodstock's first mayor and great benefactor, left much of his wealth to be used for the betterment of the town. The L. P. Fisher Public Library constructed in 1914 is one of his legacies and still serves Woodstock as a public library.
It has rich and beautiful interior panelling, shelving and decorative detail, made of solid mahogany imported from Honduras. The W.O. Raymond Room is a research collection of Carleton County and Area census records, local papers, telephone records on microfilm dated back to 1849, local books, manuscripts and genealogical information. Also at the library are the Dr. G. F. Clarke collection of Wolastoqiyik (Maliseet) artifacts and the Dalton Camp Canadiana Centre (dedicated to works by, for and about Canada and Canadians).
The L.P. Fisher Public Library is the starting point of the Woodstock Victorian Heritage Walking Tour and is registered in the Local Historic Places Initiative. Public access computers are available.